poll Do you think the pitch will stop us having as much success as Derby did on the old baseball ground?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

poll Do you think the pitch will stop us having as much success as Derby did on the old baseball ground?

Post  redditch born on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:25 am

All this about the pitch am I the only one old enough to remember cloughs Derby team league champs euro cup semi finalists on what could only be described as a ploughed field! Makes the valley look like bowling green. So having said that who thinks it will stop us winning the league? Or might the prob be some wear else?
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: poll Do you think the pitch will stop us having as much success as Derby did on the old baseball ground?

Post  dontrunsingles on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:38 am

The Baseball Ground may well have been muddy and looked like a ploughed field but it was FLAT. The problem with the Valley is not so much the mud, more the fact that it is very uneven thus decent passing football is all but impossible. Until it is sorted out then attractive winning football is a far off dream and with it the return to half decent attendances.

dontrunsingles
Midland Combination League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: poll Do you think the pitch will stop us having as much success as Derby did on the old baseball ground?

Post  in2thevalley on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:14 am

I have complained about the state of the pitch recently, but when you compare it to the state of the Gaseball Ground then there is no comparison.

I can remember the state of their pitch, when Joe Corrigan I think was booked when a penalty was given against him and he complained that the penalty spot was no-where to be seen, and if memory serves me correctly they had to mark out the penalty spot using a tape measure and line marking from a pot!

So in that respect, our pitch is a bowling green compared to that.
in2thevalley
Football League
Football League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 am

dontrunsingles wrote:The Baseball Ground may well have been muddy and looked like a ploughed field but it was FLAT. The problem with the Valley is not so much the mud, more the fact that it is very uneven thus decent passing football is all but impossible. Until it is sorted out then attractive winning football is a far off dream and with it the return to half decent attendances.

No bumps? I watched a game on a big screen not so long ago. The ball was bobberling that much my telly nearly fell off the wall!!!
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 am

The Valley stadium pitch, as it is now, won't stop us winning the league and unless i'm mistaken it's still very much the same pitch that we won a double promotion on back in the 2002-03 2003-04 seasons?

rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile http://redshoponline.goshopper.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  dontrunsingles on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:04 am

The team that won the title and got us a 'double' promotion was far far better than anything seen down at the Valley in recent seasons.

dontrunsingles
Midland Combination League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:30 am

dontrunsingles wrote:The team that won the title and got us a 'double' promotion was far far better than anything seen down at the Valley in recent seasons.

But they still got promoted on the same pitch?
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:44 am

dontrunsingles wrote:The team that won the title and got us a 'double' promotion was far far better than anything seen down at the Valley in recent seasons.

Yes...by far the best team since the 70's IMO.

Trouble was, it was a team we could not afford and nearly killed the club.....NEVER GO BACK

Arsene was a concession season ticket holder in the Baseball Ground hey days...he can remember....why was it called the Baseball Stadium?
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  in2thevalley on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 am

Bob Marley wrote:

Yes...by far the best team since the 70's IMO.

Trouble was, it was a team we could not afford and nearly killed the club.....NEVER GO BACK

Arsene was a concession season ticket holder in the Baseball Ground hey days...he can remember....why was it called the Baseball Stadium?

Even I know that one Steve.
in2thevalley
Football League
Football League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:03 pm

For the younger members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFwl11WUAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3bzD9BDIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5wv7gqSVY

I personaly wouldnt want to watch football like this???????????????????? Laughing Laughing Laughing
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Much rather be watching this????????????? Sad Sad Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5W6vBI3mGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPxF9o5Op5M&feature=related

Ill wake you up after you have watched it

Last edited by redditch born on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Some amazing vids there, RB, they make the Redditch pitch look like wembley!

And yet, they still managed to play football on it! Very Happy
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Thank you. Call me old fashioned but I loved football like that, proper stuff, but you got to be fair some might like the passing stuff Iv posted Senile
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lewism5964 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:32 pm

I think everyone wants to see the passing football played and I agree attendances are would increase with better football. But I think as long as we are at the Valley we will always be stuck with a bobbly pitch therefore we will just have to play to suit it. The only way more people will come down is by results and rising the table/leagues. I'm afraid we live in the glory hunter/armchair fan era therefore this is the main way to attract a large number of fans and with the apathy towards this town and the club in general I have experienced through my dissertation study I don't think it is going to change anytime soon.
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm not calling you old fashioned, i quite agree, it's real, honest football. It's true non-league, blood and guts football.

Namby pamby, pretty football on immaculate pitches belongs in the premier league. If non league clubs could play pretty football on a perfect surface, they wouldn't be non league for very long...
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Head against wall
lewism5964 wrote:I think everyone wants to see the passing football played and I agree attendances are would increase with better football. But I think as long as we are at the Valley we will always be stuck with a bobbly pitch therefore we will just have to play to suit it. The only way more people will come down is by results and rising the table/leagues. I'm afraid we live in the glory hunter/armchair fan era therefore this is the main way to attract a large number of fans and with the apathy towards this town and the club in general I have experienced through my dissertation study I don't think it is going to change anytime soon.

Let's get this straight? You are telling me you preferred the 2nd lot of clips???
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:41 pm

rawlings09 wrote:I'm not calling you old fashioned, i quite agree, it's real, honest football. It's true non-league, blood and guts football.

Namby pamby, pretty football on immaculate pitches belongs in the premier league. If non league clubs could play pretty football on a perfect surface, they wouldn't be non league for very long...

Truth which clips would you pay to watch if you had to pay for one of them?
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:53 pm

I'd pay to watch the clip where the penalty spot has to get painted on! Crying with laughter That's quality!
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:04 pm

lewism5964 wrote:I think everyone wants to see the passing football played and I agree attendances are would increase with better football. But I think as long as we are at the Valley we will always be stuck with a bobbly pitch therefore we will just have to play to suit it. The only way more people will come down is by results and rising the table/leagues. I'm afraid we live in the glory hunter/armchair fan era therefore this is the main way to attract a large number of fans and with the apathy towards this town and the club in general I have experienced through my dissertation study I don't think it is going to change anytime soon.

I agree 100%.

...and I honestly believe that installing a modern artificial pitch at the Valley could solve an awful lot of problems and issues.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mattim on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:58 pm

This thread kind of carries on from where that recent one about 3G pitches left off. The simple fact is that we cannot in the long term keep playing so many games on the pitch, it just isn't up to it.

It's far better than 30 odd years ago. I've seen it in such a bad state you wouldn't have kept a herd of cows on it. It does seem to drain a lot better and there is more grass cover than before but I totally agree with the comments about the surface being so bobbly. It's a very difficult pitch on which to play controlled passing football.

For example, if you're a defender you would be much more inclined to hoof upfield than try to bring the ball out of defence and risk losing posession due to a bad bounce, you simply can't rely on the ball going where you want it-unless you boot it up in the air.

If this 3G thing is a serious possibility we need a pitch that can be used by the under 21's, the college, the ladies teams, training, corporate events and whoever else uses it with the main pitch only for first team games.

If we can't get one in the immediate vicinity, such as Terry's playing fields or behind the bottom goal then we should seriously consider the main pitch being changed to an artificial surface (I think there's even a 4G now ?) in order to cope with demand. It could ,and should, be a major source of income for the club and an asset to the community. I know there are currently restrictions (no FA cup matches etc) but I believe the football authorities will start to change ther attitude towards artificial surfaces eventually.

mattim
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mattim on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Just realised I've rambled on in my previous thread without actually answering the query. No the pitch should not prevent us from achieving success, it may be bad for us to play on but it's the same for the opposition, unless of course they are better at hoofball than we are.

What I do feel will be affected is the spectator experience, I mean, any new visitor to the Valley from about November onwards would take one look at the pitch and think how the hell do they play on that ? Within a few minutes of watching they would soon have the answer.

Probably our biggest challenge in the next few years will be to increase the level of support and there are many things we can do to achieve that but ultimately success and the quality of the football played, will be the most important issue. The quality of the the playing surface may well play a big part.

mattim
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:49 pm

del boy wrote:

I agree 100%.

...and I honestly believe that installing a modern artificial pitch at the Valley could solve an awful lot of problems and issues.

Disagree I think its short sighted and could create more problems than it solves! I for one would not watch football on a plastic pitch. I can't be the only one? But this thread was not about plastic it was that football can be exciting and played on a pitch that is not a bowling green! Look at the links!!!
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:28 am

redditch born wrote:
del boy wrote:

I agree 100%.

Disagree I think its short sighted and could create more problems than it solves! I for one would not watch football on a plastic pitch. I can't be the only one? But this thread was not about plastic it was that football can be exciting and played on a pitch that is not a bowling green! Look at the links!!!

I also disagree. We played Earlswood on a perfect 3g surface, we may have played nice football, but we could well have lost that game! 3-2, in my view is quite a tight scoreline, and it was against a team 2-3 leagues lower than us?

So we could be playing pretty football, gaining a few fans, but losing, and losing more fans than we'll gain. If nobody is there to watch us play nice football, then we won't be able to afford the players playing the nice football...

The problem lies elsewhere.
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  allotmentender on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:34 am

rawlings09 wrote:The Valley stadium pitch, as it is now, won't stop us winning the league and unless i'm mistaken it's still very much the same pitch that we won a double promotion on back in the 2002-03 2003-04 seasons?

Double promotion??? We went from step 3 to step 2, if we didn't win the play off we would've ended up winning the league and staying at step 3!!!!

Back to the original question, how can a dodgy pitch stop you winning the league, learn how to use it and it will help you win the league surely!!!!
allotmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RUFC on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:32 am

The Pitch Is being heavy rolled today by contractors and already we can see a huge difference. Very Happy

RUFC
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top