Discuss Local Football

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Discuss Local Football

Post  Leethall on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 am

Thought this would be a good debate amongst us all on the forum about local football and the levels of clubs in the local area.

Since the demise of Bromsgrove Rovers who played in the Conference Prem a number of years ago, the 3 most local clubs, those being Redditch, Worcester and Solihull were playing at Step 2. You then have hordes of fairly local clubs playing at Step 5 now with just a few at Step 4 (Halesowen, Stourport etc). The quality of local players being able to fit comfortably into Step 3 football is difficult IMO. Our catchment area for footballers being able to play at this level is restricted IMO with the lack of clubs playing at Step 4 or higher. If Studley, Stratford, Alvechurch, RC Warwick, Bromsgrove, Feckenham, Earlswood etc were playing at a higher level of football we would benefit from local players being able to play at this level.

I am not sure how many of the current 1st team squad are local to Redditch, maybe none are! A lot of players seem to be based from Birmingham, Oxfordshire etc but it poses how a lot of clubs rely on players outside of the clubs location. I am sure Solihoof are similar, Worcester have some players from further afield like Ryan Clarken who I believe comes from Lincolnshire! There are local lads who are good enough for the level of football we play, Danny Lewis, Callum Gittings, Jack Byrne at Kiddy, Mark Hands @ Chasetown, Fitter @ Evesham/Redditch (whoever he plays for!).

Would be interesting to hear the views from all on this forum, the likes of Mrs Moor, Rowly, RB, Porroman, Rock DJ, BM, IntoThe Valley and even Rawlings are football men so what are your thoughts? Apologies if I have not mentioned you, it is nothing personal. Leamington fans are up in arms with Holleran in charge ATM and are rapidly falling into mid table, Stratford with a big budget are similar. Proves that money cannot buy you success all of the time, clubs with small budgets with management teams knowing the area and gelling players into a team deserve credit. Steve Farmer at Bedworth is doing a grand job having done well at Nuneaton Griff then you goto the extreme of Rod Brown at Stourport marooned to the bottom of the league.

I watched Studley v Gresley yesterday and Gresley were great in the 1st half an hour but Studley then dominated them in the 2nd half. Good game of football and a few of the Gresley players are playing at a level lower than they should (eg Goodfellow the ex Burton Albion player). I am sure at all levels there are players who follow the extra £20 a week which will never stop happening.

Let's have a debate about this, I am interested to hear the views of all on this subject!

Do you believe there is enough local talent to play at Step 4?
Do you think having more clubs at this level locally would aid RUFC?
There are obviously players good enough at the MFA, Mid Com, Southern Mid leagues etc who can make the step up?

Does it help having a manager from the local area or somebody experienced in the league you are competing in?

Last edited by Leethall on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Leethall
Football League
Football League

View user profile http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Re: Discuss Local Football

Post  rawlings09 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 am

Personally, i don't think it has much to do with a local manager with local players with little or no budget, otherwise the pub teams in Redditch would be higher than they are.

I think it's just a general lack of talent in the local area. We had the trials at the start of the season for the people of redditch, how many from thos trials are in the first team now? It sounds nice to have a local manager with local players but clearly there are very few local players good enough, maybe there are? If there are, i don't think redditch have anything in the way of scouting to get them down to play for us.

I'm sure that there must be a good talent somewhere that would love to play for redditch and i think some wouldn't even worry about being payed!

I don't think more local clubs at this level would help us... and i don't think it has helped us. There must be 100 local teams to Redditch... local within 30 miles... With the exeption of Billy Russel, have many of the players come from lower teams and made an effect?

I also don't think it helps having a manager experienced in the league you are in, the league changes every year... players come and go, managers come and go. Rough guess but i'd say Martin Sockett was relatively local and experienced at this level, and we all know how that one ended.

If a player is good enough, i personally don't care where they come from.

Knowledge of players is the key. If you don't know about them, that doesn't help, if you do know about them, you can see whether or not they've got what it takes.
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile http://redshoponline.goshopper.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:39 am

Leethall, you are probably more knowledgeable on this subject than most on here. All I can really say is that we are located on the door step of the second largest conurbation in the country. Without conducting any kind of in-depth analysis, the law of averages tells me that there is no shortage of decent players in the West Midlands. The West Midlands is also pretty much a football region in terms of popularity.

Compare our location to some of the clubs that we compete against. Those located in South West England have it far tougher than we do.

Money is the biggest factor in attracting players. Good players usually go where the money is. You’re right that it doesn’t always bring success. But I bet there is a strong correlation between playing budgets and league position.

It would be nice to have local players at the club. A starting XI of Redditch based players could easily add 100 onto our usual home gate. For whatever reason, a local player strategy doesn’t seem to be feasible at any club at this level. The lower the league, the more likely that all of the players will be local. But the further you rise up the pyramid, the less likely this is to be true. Again, this is done to money. There is more of it available the higher you go.

It would be desirable to have a manager who has experience, knowledge and contacts at this level. I don’t think it’s essential, providing that there is somebody else in the management team who does have said attributes.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:43 am

rawlings09 wrote: i'd say Martin Sockett was relatively local and experienced at this level, and we all know how that one ended.

To be fair, Sockett barely had the chance to get started!
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adiy price on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:03 am

i think having knowledge of (fairly) local players is important, look at gary whilde he brought in players who made a big diffrence and most of them are still playing at our level or above. imo that where we seem to be lacking, i would rather see players here all year instead of loan players and yes i know gary brought in loan players but they were better than what we had not replacing one who'd gone back to his parent club. Senile sorry just my opionion
adiy price
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:21 am

Spot on Del. I for one played over at Pershore with the likes of Sean Cotterill, Mickey Lowe, Brian Powell, Pando etc and they were all good local footballers. Remember the Studley side before Rowley took over when they got to the Vase Quarters with the likes of Ian Mitchell, Mark Beddowes, Vaughan Thomas, Aaron Brown etc? Shows how contacts can make a big difference at the level you are playing at.

You only have to look at Herefordshire, Westfields have a great side and they really don't have a side at a high level other than Hereford in League 2, the sides over there are a good standard. Rowley will know from his time playing & managing in non league.

The best player I played football with was Ollie Latchford, I remember him playing with my uncle @ Solihoof Borough as an 18 year old and he was class, he then played at a decent non league level for years but I had the pleasure of playing with him for a number of years with his brother. Top player and played a game with him back in April 2011 and he is a proper footballer.

I think a local side as you stated Del would bring more people through the gates.

Interestingly Gresley yesterday have Gary Norton as manager, he has got his side playing football out from the back but also they are able to mix a passing game with a more direct style. That was their 1st defeat in 19 league games so you have to give Studley credit. If anybody is at a loose end on Tuesday night then I would highly advise watching them play Alvechurch at Lye Meadow as they are a decent side who try and play football. Fair play to their manager who in spite of the blinkered comments from his own fans he credited Studley for how they won the game, have a look http://www.gresleyfc.com/first-team/report/6326

Our very own Danny Carter I thought was excellent throughout and playing with an experienced striker like Jimmy Deabill and a centre midfielder who can actually make an opening (in this case it was Joe Adams & Lei Brown) looked sharp against a side who were decent.

Alvechurch have a couple of useful young players who are worth a look at, Elliot Nash and Joe Wright.mi know the latter was at Redditch with Smudger at the start of the season but having watched him a few times he is the sort of player who could really develop with the right manager at this level. Sometimes patience is required with younger players. Look at Jack Byrne who was shocking for Solihull Borough, went to Stratford to learn his game and moved up to Redditch in BSN and has not looked back since joining Kiddy. Hopefully our Under 21's side can produce a few of these players in the coming years as that is the aim.
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:26 am

adiy price wrote:i think having knowledge of (fairly) local players is important, look at gary whilde he brought in players who made a big diffrence and most of them are still playing at our level or above. imo that where we seem to be lacking, i would rather see players here all year instead of loan players and yes i know gary brought in loan players but they were better than what we had not replacing one who'd gone back to his parent club. Senile sorry just my opionion

Spot on Aide. Exactly my opinion as well. Loan players are ok if you have them for a complete season or if required as an emergency stop gap signing. Not using that system over the course of a season like we have done this year. Connor Deards was a class act but this actually glossed over the fact we had nothing in return when he had to go back to his parent club. I would much rather have players for the full season, especially in important positions such as centre midfield. This has IMO been the biggest issue this season where we have not had 2 centre midfielders who are signed to the club, we have used the loan system for 1 or if not both players throughout. Maybe not the most popular view but somebody like Lee Downes would be a perfect type player in that centre midfield for RUFC, nothing stand out but effort, organisation and direction for the younger players we have to guide them through a very competitive league.
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:32 am

Leethall wrote:

(in this case it was Joe Adams & Lei Brown) looked sharp against a side who were decent.

Banana sex Oh yeah Wink

Interesting about the Under 21's producing players... the under 21's, although a new addition to the club have seemed quite quiet and out the way? The majority of those lads are local i think... i thought they were set up so players who were doing well had a chance to play in the first team.

Having played a bit for them at the start of the year, they're a useful side.. and they can play football on the Valley pitch Wink
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:39 am

del boy wrote:
rawlings09 wrote: i'd say Martin Sockett was relatively local and experienced at this level, and we all know how that one ended.

Mr Socket had a few local lads who were good enough, and he lost them! A team needs a heart and IMO a few Redditch lads would give you that
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:46 am

redditch born wrote:
del boy wrote:

Mr Socket had a few local lads who were good enough, and he lost them! A team needs a heart and IMO a few Redditch lads would give you that

Spot on RB! Redditch, Studley, Alcester lads etc would do that and bring people to watch IMO
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:49 am

rawlings09 wrote:
Leethall wrote:

(in this case it was Joe Adams & Lei Brown) looked sharp against a side who were decent.

Banana sex Oh yeah Wink

Interesting about the Under 21's producing players... the under 21's, although a new addition to the club have seemed quite quiet and out the way? The majority of those lads are local i think... i thought they were set up so players who were doing well had a chance to play in the first team.

Having played a bit for them at the start of the year, they're a useful side.. and they can play football on the Valley pitch Wink

FAIL

The Under 21's are obviously decent as they are 2nd in the league and they beat Romulus yesterday (awaiting Fingers to comment Fishing ). Which players though are involved with the 1st team? The club website does not show who these players are which they should do. On a serious note are you not good enough Rawlings?
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Leethall wrote:
FAIL

The Under 21's are obviously decent as they are 2nd in the league and they beat Romulus yesterday (awaiting Fingers to comment Fishing ). Which players though are involved with the 1st team? The club website does not show who these players are which they should do. On a serious note are you not good enough Rawlings?

I'm capable of playing at that level as it's a bit worse than the standard of our college football team last year, i wasn't getting played as much as i'd have liked, which is a shame because i enjoyed it, but it was too far to bench warm, might have another crack at it next season though!

Maybe they just need a bit of time to become established, like you say, 2nd in the league, and there are one or two good sides in there by the looks of it... rather than get a loan player in, why not dip into the under 21's? I'd like to see them more involved with the first team, especially pre-season.
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  in2thevalley on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:00 am

In answer to the first question is there enough talent locally to play at step 4 then the answer is yes, I have seen many players who are more than capable of playing at his level and higher, but the problem is they are quickly signed up by other clubs, and for the sake of extra £10 or £20 a game. We have seen that here at the valley with players going elsewhere for an extra bit of money, and to be honest I can not blame them.(especially in todays financial climate)

I would like everyone else would love to see a local side with local players but the fact of the matter is this is highly unlikely to happen, because in a performance led business fans want sucess immeadiately and if the team are not winning then fans will unfortunately vote with their feet and stay away. How many teams in the leagues have had players in league clubs who haven't made the grade?
in2thevalley
Football League
Football League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:45 am

in2thevalley wrote:In answer to the first question is there enough talent locally to play at step 4 then the answer is yes, I have seen many players who are more than capable of playing at his level and higher, but the problem is they are quickly signed up by other clubs, and for the sake of extra £10 or £20 a game. We have seen that here at the valley with players going elsewhere for an extra bit of money, and to be honest I can not blame them.(especially in todays financial climate)

I would like everyone else would love to see a local side with local players but the fact of the matter is this is highly unlikely to happen, because in a performance led business fans want sucess immeadiately and if the team are not winning then fans will unfortunately vote with their feet and stay away. How many teams in the leagues have had players in league clubs who haven't made the grade?

Sorry but your statement is not true. I know 3 off the local lads who were with us at the start off the season ( can only speak for those 3) but all wanted to play for Redditch and were there for less money than they were playing for before and less than they could off got off other clubs. Socket (bless him?) Told the press that Fitter left for more money? Lie! Total lie! And don't let anyone tell you other wise. I'm afraid Redditch lost the chance and will have to wait for the next crop of local players to come along? Well done Mr Socket!
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lewism5964 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:50 pm

What were Fitter's real reasons for leaving then?
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ROWLY1971 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Fitter asked for security about being in the starting 11. Fact
He wasn't given it.
Westy was struggling for a side at the start of the season. Fact
Fitter was told what he wanted to hear, that he would be in the starting 11 and would be on more than he was going to be at Redditch.

Fitter is now playing at Littletons in the comb 1. Fact
ROWLY1971
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alottmentender on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:21 pm

why should fitter be given the devine rite to be in a starting eleven?.seems he is not that good if he can only ply his trade in comb 1 with littleton.
alottmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  porrohman on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:13 pm

I wouldn't give any one any assurances they would be in my first 11, quite agree, just leads to complacency.
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 pm

You cannot guarantee any player a starting spot, every player should warrant a place on merit.

Can't believe that Fitter is playing for Littleton, they are top of the league but lost to Shirley on Saturday. Surprised he is not playing for Studley or a side at least at Step 5 level rather than Step 7!

So Mark Hands is playing for Chasetown, Simon Fitter is at Littleton and Lei Brown & Joe Adams are at Studley. A whole local Midfield who started the season at Redditch and at other clubs!
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I agree that a 'Lee Downes' type player in the middle would help the younger guys...not rocket science that one.. (although Lee would never come back to Redditch after what happened previously).

I would love to see Redditch lads in the Redditch team....if they are good enough.

Trouble is we have sh*t on so many over the recent years, it will take a lot of bridge building to get any sort of integrity back.

Still nice to see a reasonably settled team instead of the 'who's who' over recent seasons.
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm

[quote="ROWLY1971"]Fitter asked for security about being in the starting 11. Fact
He wasn't given it.
Westy was struggling for a side at the start of the season. Fact
Fitter was told what he wanted to hear, that he would be in the starting 11 and would be on more than he was going to be at Redditch.

Fitter is now playing at Littletons in the comb 1. Fact[/quote

Nearly Rowly Fitter never took to the management style, right or wrong? To cut a long story short, Big bust up at training before the oxford game Westy got wind of it made the call and the rest is history. Eversham paying him £50 a game more Than he. Was on at Redditch but not the reason he left. Yes westy told him what he wanted to hear called good management Socket got a lot to learn

Last edited by redditch born on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:03 pm

alottmentender wrote:why should fitter be given the devine rite to be in a starting eleven?.seems he is not that good if he can only ply his trade in comb 1 with littleton.

Becouse even though Redditch put 7 days in for him last week that's where he wants to play (and that's a shame) could do with him now
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ROWLY1971 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Sorry RB but you're the nearly man this time. No big bust up. He was insecure with how his friendlies had gone and wanted assurances about starting 1st game of the season which obviously can never be given until the 1st game of the season.
Westy wasn't there. You weren't there. Fitter Socket and Smith were, and you should know yourself to believe what footballers tell you with a very large pinch of salt that needs sprinkling on their all important ego's.

On the subject of an all local midfield and more locals in the squad though, I believe we could have 6-10 local lads in the squad of various age and ability that would hold their own. I believe sometimes you must believe in people and a plan and stick to it and help them make it work. Sure they may struggle to begin with but we've all done something a little different in our lives that after time and perseverence we have managed to conquer and I believe this could of been the case with local lads playing for Redditch.

I also believe 1 more thing- I don't think we would be in any more of a mess on and off the pitch as we are now by doing it that way!
ROWLY1971
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:25 am

I heard it was about playing right back? Not about a promised place

Agreed on the playing front, 6 players easy! my heart goes out to young Joe Adams he was thrown in the deep end with out any help and dumped when he needed time

Last edited by redditch born on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:21 am

Littleton... Crying with laughter Oh dear. He's better than that, although, my last memories of Fitter was him storming out the gate.. i was in the shop when it happened but i don't know the ins and outs.

Rowly for Manager!! Cup Wink
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top