Red Insure Cup 2nd Round draw

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Red Insure Cup 2nd Round draw

Post  fingers on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:55 am

Redditch will host Banbury United in the second round of the Red Insure Southern League Cup.

The tie is scheduled for Tuesday 29th November, a week after most of the others as both teams are in county competition the week before.

The winners will take their place in the last 16 of a competition that Reds reached the final of thirteen years ago, losing in a two-legged final to Margate.

Full second round schedule can be found here: http://www.southern-football-league.co.uk/fixtures/league-cup.asp?section=fixtures
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/romulus/

Back to top Go down

Re: Red Insure Cup 2nd Round draw

Post  porrohman on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:02 am

Cheers Andy. Never heard of this cup before..seems it's been going a while...
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:12 am

As with most League Cups, the name changes so often it becomes hard to relate to, but the Southern League Cup, quite unique in its design has been around for a while.

The 1997-8 run was very enjoyable. Beating Gloucester when they were a decent sized club and a league higher in the quarter-final was quality. 2-2 draw at theirs, a 4-1 replay win on a bog at the Valley - IIRC Trev Whittington bagged a brace from left wing back, 2 superb strikes.

Think we started that run by beating Bromsgrove Rovers (a division higher at the time), also beat Bilston, someone else who I can't think of right now, Gloucester, Ilkeston over two legs (who were flying under the late Keith Alexander at the time) before losing to Margate.

That was also the nine games in nine days season.
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:33 pm

I remember the semi finals against Ilkeston. The second leg at the Valley was one of the those games that I still remember! I think I’m right in saying that we were level on goals but they had the away goal advantage. Deep into injury time we got the winner! I remember jumping over the barrier and onto the pitch to celebrate!

We had a decent following at Margate for a midweek game and we all sang our hearts out. I remember that the players walked off towards the tunnel at full time without acknowledging us. The manger had to turn them all around at the tunnel and back onto the pitch to give us a clap. W*****s.

It might not be the most interesting competition in the early rounds, but get to the final rounds and it becomes more so. It’s certainly more credible than the BSC or the WSC.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Re. Ilkeston, yeah they were ahead on away goals, we lost 0-1 there and were 2-1 up at home before Jan Mulders sidefooted a penalty (I think it was his second of the game) to send us through.

Margate stands out for me as someone, pretty sure it was Rob Smith, got stupidly and needlessly sent off and it all went downhill from there.

Enjoyed that season more than any other I think...
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Then we went on to lose 3-1 to Halesowen in the BSC Final. Sky Sports came to see us!

With all those games in hand, we could have still challenged for promotion I think? + two cup finals. What a shame that we ended up with sweet FA.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Halesowen were decent in those days too.

They were in a higher league and it was the fifth of our nine in nine days, still gutted to end up with nothing.

Sad fact - I attended all nine games.
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrace Guy on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:13 pm

fingers wrote:As with most League Cups, the name changes so often it becomes hard to relate to, but the Southern League Cup, quite unique in its design has been around for a while.

The 1997-8 run was very enjoyable. Beating Gloucester when they were a decent sized club and a league higher in the quarter-final was quality. 2-2 draw at theirs, a 4-1 replay win on a bog at the Valley - IIRC Trev Whittington bagged a brace from left wing back, 2 superb strikes.

Think we started that run by beating Bromsgrove Rovers (a division higher at the time), also beat Bilston, someone else who I can't think of right now, Gloucester, Ilkeston over two legs (who were flying under the late Keith Alexander at the time) before losing to Margate.

That was also the nine games in nine days season.

Christ that takes me back to when I was 9. Bare with me but I remember Trevor Whittington being the star of that era despite the portly belly, Jim Arnold in goal, some curly haired chap (Adam?? springs to mind) and the little chap up front (Paul?) who could probably have been outmuscled by a feather. Also, does anyone remember the 3-2 turning over of Shepshed Dynamo around that time? To this date I have never seen a match finished on such a waterlogged pitch. Other notable memories include Darren Huckerby's brother playing for Ilkeston, the kindly old couple who ran the burger van and old Wally who was there at every home game with his cadbury's eclairs before passing on. Fun times indeed!
Terrace Guy
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:47 pm

Terrace Guy wrote:Christ that takes me back to when I was 9. Bare with me but I remember Trevor Whittington being the star of that era despite the portly belly, Jim Arnold in goal, some curly haired chap (Adam?? springs to mind) and the little chap up front (Paul?) who could probably have been outmuscled by a feather. Also, does anyone remember the 3-2 turning over of Shepshed Dynamo around that time? To this date I have never seen a match finished on such a waterlogged pitch. Other notable memories include Darren Huckerby's brother playing for Ilkeston, the kindly old couple who ran the burger van and old Wally who was there at every home game with his cadbury's eclairs before passing on. Fun times indeed!

A golden age mate.

Trev oozed class, a real ledge.

The two others you're thinking of, Adam Nicholls, central midfielder who was always under-rated in my opinion, and Paul Burton. 'Bertie' (I know, original) scored a lot of goals and had that knack of being in the right place at the right time - crafty, out and out finisher. He didn't need strength because he'd always find that bit of space he needed.

fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  allotmentender on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:01 pm

That was a very drunken night down at Margate Wink The only things I can remember are drinking bottles of 20-20 on the way down and twisting my ankle running down the terrace behind the goal during the game!!

If I remember right, they returned the favour in the 2nd leg and brought a fair few up, who were equally as drunk as we were at the 1st leg Wink They ran on the pitch at the end and it nearly went off!!!
allotmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  arsene on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 am

I remember being interviewed by the Bear (Radio) while leaving the ground at Margate. Can't remember what I said though (Probably something quite trite!) Never knew if it was broadcast or not! Also remember getting home at something like 2.00 am and then getting up for work at 5.30!! Happy days!
arsene
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrace Guy on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:21 am

Does anyone know what our average gate was back then? I'm sure that despite us still being in the doc martens western the crowd seemed consistently bigger for every home match but this could be due to me being a nipper.
Also, I think this could have been years later but does anyone remember winning at Bumsgrove with a young striker called Jamie?? scoring in the dying seconds?
Terrace Guy
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top