Redditch dissertation interviews.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Redditch dissertation interviews.

Post  lewism5964 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 am

As some of you may know my name is Lewis Millington and as well as being an avid Redditch fan I am also a student at the University of Portsmouth. For my final year dissertation project I have chosen to examine whether there has been a loss of identity and a breakdown of the social community in Redditch since its formation as a new town. In order to collect information and data for this project I need to interview residents of both new town and old town Redditch to collect their views and opinions. I have already asked some Redditch fans if I could interview them already but if I can get a larger sample of people interviewed the information I collect will be more credible.
I would be extremely grateful if any of you could help me with this study and be open to talking about this subject. You can either contact me in this thread or alternatively ring me on 07732952092 or send an email to lewisv1@hotmail.com

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you!

Lewis.
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redditch dissertation interviews.

Post  Lensman on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Lewis

I would be very happy to meet you and share my thoughts on this subject, I have some strong thoughts on this topic that may assist your research.

Lensman
(aka Richard)

Lensman
Sunday League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrace Guy on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 am

Can I just say what a fantastic dissertation subject mate! Being from an old town family myself I know I could probably get a fair view on it. My Dad worked for the Development Corporation when it was being built and was also born and bred in old town Redditch so I'll have a word. Also, if you could give us a copy when you're done next spring then I would be grateful.

Cheers!
Terrace Guy
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lewism5964 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:57 am

Thank you to both of you for showing an interest Smile I thought this is a topic that generally hasn't been addressed or analysed in our town and i'm sure there are a lot of people with contrasting views on the subject. What would be ideal times and days to meet each of you? Yeah of course i'll give you the finished copy when i'm done next Easter mate Smile
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrace Guy on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:00 pm

I'll have a word with my old man when he's back off holiday and let you know mate! Who knows, could sort something Monday possibly but couldn't guarantee it right now.
Terrace Guy
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Bonehead on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:43 pm

A subject close to my heart so just a few points.

1) The old Redditch dialect has gone. I can remember when the older generation in this town spoke with what can only be described as an "Evesham Light" accent.
2) The old town centre was torn down and replaced with the carbuncle that is the Kingfisher. Where is our High St or focul point for the town?
3) The different new town estates were designed as almost little satellite towns in their own right. Each completely self sufficient.
4) I went to school with many from the new estates and would often hear them claim that "Redditch had nothing till the Brummies came here." Well we didn't have some things, that's true...
5) They didn't appear to have any allegiance to this town and never ceased to run it down. When they said they were going into town they would invaribly be talking about the Bull Ring not the Kingfisher!

And Finally

6) I'm sick of people referring to Redditch as a "New" town. It's actually a very old town with a wealth of history.

Can I just add "Don't get me wrong, some of my best mates are Brummies" as a disclaimer!
Mr Bonehead
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Mr Bonehead wrote:
2) The old town centre was torn down and replaced with the carbuncle that is the Kingfisher. Where is our High St or focul point for the town?

Here are a few, nice photos of the old town centre. I'm pretty sure that there are some more on the same site.

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=4081
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:02 am

del boy wrote:
Mr Bonehead wrote:

Here are a few, nice photos of the old town centre. I'm pretty sure that there are some more on the same site.

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=4081
Nice pics, I have added these to my collection.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Bonehead on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Why not add some of these to your collection Jeff?

http://www.francisfrith.com/redditch/photos/evesham-street-c1955_R84039/

I'd rather have the Town centre looking like it used to rather than it does today but I guess if you're used to the Bullring then you're happy with the Kingfisher.

Mr Bonehead
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Bonehead, I absolutely agree with you that the shopping centre is truly awful, on the outside at least. That said, I’m not really a fan of any indoor shopping centre. I much prefer the more traditional, outdoor high street experience.

The nicest part of Redditch is Church Green West; a good number of the buildings there are grade II listed. That’s probably why it’s still here. Unfortunately, I don’t think the rest of the town centre used to look like this. Obviously, I’m not basing this on first hand experience. But it’s something that I’ve always taken a keen interest in. As an old towner myself, with old towner relatives, I love to ask the question “what did it used to be like?” It’s my understanding that the old town centre was largely an out dated, dilapidated slum composed mostly of back to back housing. There was little opposition to the wide spread demolition of the old town centre, because it was a slum clearance operation, and residents were guaranteed nice new, modern homes.

Redditch was an experimental design. It works (or worked) to an extent. But I can’t see our style of town ever being replicated again. If this kind of experiment is not replicated, I think you can put it down as a failure. Redditch by and large, comprises of car dependency, urban sprawl, extensive zoning etc… Basically, we have everything that a lot of modern urban planning is trying to move away from.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Bonehead on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm not saying the old town centre didn't need updating, as many towns at that time did. However the heart of the town centre was ripped out. All the houses were removed, no high street/focul point. We were just left with the Kingfisher which turned the area into a ghost town in the evenings. Some people may think the New Town development was a good thing but I don't. What did the indigenous residents gain? We were a thriving a town with a rich and varied industrial economy. The people of Redditch didn't want it but when did politicians ever listen to the people?
Mr Bonehead
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lewism5964 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:07 am

I've bumped this topic back up to see if there would be any interest from some people to conduct an interivew some point between the dates 9th December till 7th January 2012.

Some of views and opinions provided above and interviews I have already conducted have already provided me with some good information. I've got an interview with Chris Swan when I come home at Christmas which should be interesting to see the clubs involvement within the current Redditch community.

If you are unable to meet up in person but you feel you could provide some information on the topic via e mail that would be extremely useful, or even over a pint down the Valley Laughing

Futhermore, if you have any relatives or friends that you feel may like to have some strong opinions on this topic and would be comfortable contacting me then that would be great. The more information the better! Thanks Smile
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 am

I'm back for four days over Christmas mate, also not too far away from you in Bournemouth, so could meet up if you want.

Drop me a message on here if you want me to take part.
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/romulus/

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Biggest problem I see.Is they filled the place with BLOODY BRUMIES!!!!!!
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adiy price on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:50 pm

im a brummie born but not bred, my mom was born in redditch on studley road in fact. if u speak to jeff i leant him a dvd off old redditch so you could see what it looked like. on another point i remember the old town centre sainsburys where argos is, the town ending where the toilets are. the 2 pubs right next door to each other, the car parks which had more dips in it than the valley pitch Crying with laughter
adiy price
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top