Can we reach the Conference Premier in 5 years?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can we Reach the Conference Premier in 5 years?

42% 42% 
[ 8 ]
58% 58% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 19

Can we reach the Conference Premier in 5 years?

Post  rawlings09 on Fri May 20, 2011 9:20 am

Intresting what i read about Chris wanting the "Wimbledon Spirit" so it's all very positive!

http://www.redditchstandard.co.uk/sportstory-42154.html

What are people's thoughts on this?

Personally i think we can...

Thoughts
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile http://redshoponline.goshopper.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Can we reach the Conference Premier in 5 years?

Post  Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 10:36 am

I'd like to think we can, its just good to have so much positiveness surrounding Redditch United fc.
Lets face it most of our history we've been underdogs and we have always come out fighting, its nice to have the fight on the field and in the league rather than the fight to have a club at all.
Lets aim for the limits and who knows, just our first win is something im really looking forward to and after that bring it on![img][/img][img][/img]

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley on Fri May 20, 2011 11:25 am

Just spending a few minutes over my bagel and Starbucks reading this article..it has just hit me how amazing the last few weeks have been since Chris, Mark and Sallie came to the club.

From where we were....100k in debt, close to winding up, no heating, no water, break-in, sh#t pitch.......isn't it amazing to hear 40 advertising boards sold, pitch repairs underway, new manager, no debt, painting, decorating etc.....all in less than 2 months!!

I know expectation rises...but we are definately on the up..up..up!

Good weekend everyone as the future looks very, very good!
Very Happy
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Fri May 20, 2011 11:30 am

To finance an assault on the Conference Premier, and remain at that level, would require the clubs revenues to increase massively. It’s always going to be difficult for us to compete with other clubs crowds and match day revenues. Instead the club would need significant investment in other facilities to bring in the income. I think we are looking at a multi-million pound investment being a necessity for it to be a reality. The answer to your poll really depends on how much money will be invested by Mr. Swan.

Even if such huge investments are made, they will take time to plan, build, put into action etc. 5 years is simply too small a timeframe. That’s the reason why voted no. It’s far too much, too soon.

IMO, the BS North & South are now the pinnacle of what is traditional non league and amateur football. I find that the Conference National is no longer operating in a traditional non league spirit. It is now an extension of the professional football league; in reality it’s almost a ’N power league 3. The jump from the regional divisions to the national is huge. It’s a jump that I can’t see our little club being ready for sometime to come.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adiy price on Fri May 20, 2011 12:11 pm

i agree with del boy that the confrence is almost a proffesional league now and at the moment we are a million miles from that, but with wins ,good football, we wont be far from that that in a few years time so i voted yes and i dont think millions are needed all we need is the people of redditch to support us
adiy price
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley on Fri May 20, 2011 12:27 pm

I sort of agree with Del, but it didn't stop Alfreton or Guiseley...

OK, we could not compete last season....but look at the teams around the playoffs....were they that good?...shoot, we nearly beat Guiseley when they were still pushing and they nearly did Telford in the playoff final!
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Fri May 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Rumour has it that Alfreton were bankrolled heavily on the playing budget. Then look at Crawley in the division above; the kind of (rumoured) figures involved defy belief! Bankrolling our team is the way it could be done in five years, but that is not going to happen and rightly so!

Fleetwood Town appear to have been bankrolled on the pitch, but their chairman has also invested heavily off it. Their new stand would not have come cheap, but if I recall correctly, the corporate facilities at maximum capacity can generate 7k on a match day alone. That’s an example of why I suggested it takes big money for big returns.

In the near future, the clubs that will get success will tend to be the ones who are being bankrolled or alternatively, are very well supported.

Financial fair play rules are being introduced in the Champions League. They have also been trialled in League 2. For example, a team can only spend a maximum of 70% of its income on players. Introduce these rules into non league football and I think we’ll then find ourselves on the right track. It’s the incentive clubs need to invest their money off the pitch rather than simply throwing money at the players.

Thinking of the Conference Premier now strikes me as ‘trying to run before we can walk’. Lets get things in place first and enjoy a bit of stability for a year or two!
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley on Fri May 20, 2011 2:14 pm

I agree 100% Del....
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Fri May 20, 2011 2:24 pm

I'd love to be in the Conference Premier in 5 years providing it's all done properly! Cup
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  allotmentender on Fri May 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Can we reach the conference premier in 5 years?
Surely the answer is yes, we can reach the conference premier in 2 years!!! Of course, we're not though, I totally agree with Del Boy (as I often do on here) At the moment Redditch United is far far away from conference premier football, even during our extended spell in the conference north we've been a long way away from looking like a team/club who could compete in the conference premier. Like Del Boy says it's not like it used to be, with 2 clubs being relegated from the football league every year, you look at the conference table and you could've been looking at the old 4th division. Clubs have been bankrolled up, Alfreton mentioned earlier (we're yet to see how they perform) and previously Histon (I remember going there during the mid 90's to watch Redditch in the FA trophy I think, and they were like Studley as in size of club!!!) , Forest Green etc etc.... who have struggled to survive.
Although long term goals are good, I think as a club who were on the brink of going out of existence (and I don't think we have a big enough support to realistically start one of these supporters teams ie; AFC Redditch!!!) we should concentrate on consolidating ourselves for a couple of seasons before going for promotion back to the conference north (or south depending on who's where!!!)
For these reasons, although YES we can reach the conference premier in 5 years (as in the same way we could reach the premiershit in 6 years) I have voted NO.
Sorry guys.
allotmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  porrohman on Sat May 21, 2011 5:48 am

Del Boy is spot on....talk of conference football is just daft.
I'm not a fan of long term goals. There's a tendancy to look so far ahead, when things need doing in the short term. It's also a bit of a cushion...a five year plan to get conference football allows you three seasons to do nothing.
Short term goals are much more attainable, and the interest levels remain high.Momentum builds as each short term goal is achieved. 95% of teams in our new division will have the same 5 year plan.
We have to remember we were days away from going under a few months ago....short term goal for me?Get crowds to 400, get a competitive team that consolidates next season...and have some decent football to watch.
Get in on the deck and play. I voted NO as well.
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mattim on Sat May 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Can we reach the Conference ?! (Blue Square) Premier in five years ?........Yes

Are we likely to reach the Conference Premier in five years ?......No

I totally agree with the previous couple of posts which seem to be saying that in doing so we may be learning to try to run before we can walk. We have as a club been here so many times before, and every time that we have had success on the pitch it has not been matched by the infrastructure, the revenues, the marketing, the facilities etc etc resulting in general disappointment and on at least two occasions (such as a few weeks ago) the club nearly going bust.

Having said that I do have a great deal of faith in the new setup and I believe that Mr Swan and his team are capable of getting us back up there, whether it's in five years I'm not so sure. When you look at the clubs in the BSP we are a million miles from the sort of professional setups, the grounds, the attendances etc.

The big challenge next season is to get more people through the turnstiles and I don't see us getting out of the Southern Prem back to the BSN unless we are getting 500 for every game in order to provide the wage budget needed. That is , as they say, a big ask.

In order to finance a BSP team we need more like 800 average attendances and anyone who has been involved at this club will testify that this figure has never been achieved, even when we were playing fantastic football and beating everything in front of us.

Before I get accused of being negative I do think that one day all this can be done and we must never give up on a vision for the future but we will somehow have to bring the people of Redditch with us in a way that has never been done before, certainly not in my lifetime anyway.

mattim
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  in2thevalley on Sun May 22, 2011 4:55 am

All I'm looking forward to this season is a team who can hopefully win a few games in a row. We are in a league

that we should have been in three or four years ago. It was only through the demise of several clubs in our

league that we managed to stay in the BSN. We have had a dire season 2010/11 both on and off the field.

But now that particular chapter is closed, we came move on with some positivity.

I think once people see that Redditch are winning a few games and doing reasonably well, they will be more

inclined to come and watch them. If I wasnt so involved with Redditch and I saw that the last time they won

was October 2010, I too would be inclined to stay away. But now with Chris and Fenners and Ian Holloways

identical twin Brother in charge, there is now an air of optimism rather than despondancy. If we dont get promoted

straight away, it will not be a disaster. I think consistency and achievable goals are our aim. Little steps forward.
in2thevalley
Football League
Football League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Sun May 22, 2011 1:14 pm

mattim wrote:The big challenge next season is to get more people through the turnstiles and I don't see us getting out of the Southern Prem back to the BSN unless we are getting 500 for every game in order to provide the wage budget needed. That is , as they say, a big ask.

In order to finance a BSP team we need more like 800 average attendances and anyone who has been involved at this club will testify that this figure has never been achieved, even when we were playing fantastic football and beating everything in front of us.

Before I get accused of being negative I do think that one day all this can be done and we must never give up on a vision for the future but we will somehow have to bring the people of Redditch with us in a way that has never been done before, certainly not in my lifetime anyway.

I completely share your opinion on the crowd issue. More people will come out and watch the Reds if we have a winning team on display, but that increase won’t necessarily be to the level that it should be for a town of our size. I speak to a lot of friends and family about the Reds. Many show a certain level of interest and follow our clubs progress in the local papers. Quite often, they indicate a strong interest in coming to games. But when it actually comes down to it, they are nowhere to be seen. It’s easy to say that all of us as regulars, could get just one of our friends to come to the next game. That way our crowds would double. Simple! In reality, actually getting one extra friend to attend is difficult.

I’m also increasingly concerned about Premier League football on TV. The FA have long banned Saturday 3pm games being shown live, so as not to hurt matchday attendances. Well, that is now precisely what is happening. Pubs quite openly show live Premier League games on a Saturday afternoon. You can watch live streams of games on the internet. The Premier Leagues success is to the detriment of every other level of football in this country……and other countries to.

We have already had a healthy debate on the Valley Stadium and on whether we should move or improve. I honesty believe that moving into a brand new stadium would instantly double our crowds overnight. That might not last forever, but it gives us the opportunity to retain new fans once we have their foot in the door. The other alternative is heavy investment in the Valley Stadium.

I may be completely wrong about this, but I get the impression that Mr. Swan is willing to invest in the ground in response to better attendances. But I think that the ground improvements need to come first in order to get people in.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Sun May 22, 2011 1:39 pm

I agree, Del, It's very tough to actually get 1 friend down.

And even when they do come down, if they see us lose they won't come back.

I suppose the ground is a big factor of getting new and younger fans..

The first thing you see when you walk down the hill is that Green crapshack at the far end.

That's enough to put anyone off. The rest of the ground is fine imo... just the temp stand. Would we need it if we drop down a league? Seeing eveshams ground - they don't have many covered seats...

They all link to eachother, Ground-Team-Atmosphere.. all equally important if we are to get new fans down and succeed.
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top