Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season.

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season.

Post  del boy on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:33 am

This certainly isn’t the start of the downward spiral; I think we were already half way down it and are now about to go into freefall.

Blaming Mr Rae seems a bit harsh. I think we all know that these financial problems are historical. The club has been mismanaged by many for years. It was pretty obvious 4-7 years ago that the club was paying out wages that were way beyond its means. How many of us during this period were guilty of turning a blind eye, just because things were going well? I don’t recall too many objections to the mismanagement of the club back then.

This season, it was naïve to assume that the budget cut would not have an affect on attendances. Many football clubs fail to run themselves as a ‘normal business‘. But they are normal businesses like any other. If you cut the quality of the product on offer and raise the price to pay for it, then you are going to lose customers! The quality is about to get even worse and the number of customers will fall even further.

For me personally, over many years, I’ve never missed more than 1 or 2 home games a season. During the last couple of years, I felt like I was only continuing to go out of stubborn loyalty; I certainly wasn’t enjoying the football. This season, I’ve only been to around half of the home games. My threshold of being willing to pay to watch crap football has been crossed. Following today’s announcement, I can’t see myself going again.

The ambition of a debt free Redditch United is admirable. On the path we are on, it is impossible to achieve. Crowds and revenue will get worse. They can only decrease so much before debt reduction becomes an impossibility.

The end is inevitable. Why prolong it? The club is treading water now, gasping for breath.

A very sad day….
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:57 am

The budget cut at the start of the season was a necessity..if not, the future of the club would have been at the mercy of a creditor.

The decision for zero budget is born out of survival of the club...I for one, applaud it.

Of course, it will not be popular and we all want better for the club...but it now demonstrates that the club is facing up to the reality of the situation and from this we can start to build...you can only solve a problem when it is admitted and shared.

Learn the lessons, gather the troops, define the plan and make it happen...

Onwards and upwards.
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Whatever people's thoughts are something has to give here. Not sure on the rules of administration nowadays (Fingers?) but the club needs some direction at Board Level and Ken has almost stated he can't do it. Fair enough what are the options?
Leethall
Football League
Football League

View user profile http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:12 pm

I don't understand why this decision is getting so much stick? The finances have been sh*t for years and years due to a history of mis-management in various sectors.
Ken has now decided to cut losses for this season and start preparing for next season to give us a better chance of competing, and most of all survival.

Surely paying £900 p/week when we're pretty much certain for the drop is an irresponsible thing to do? That would be another case of mis-management added to the list. Ken's made a brave decision.

As said above, if we all pull together (fans, players and board) then we'll have a better chance of turning this around.

I appreciate how dis-heartening today's news has been for everyone, but for those planning to stay away please remember you're not just turning your back on the club, you're also turning your back on the rest of us fans. No

Admin

View user profile http://redditchunited.forumfree.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Leethall wrote:I have a feeling that there will be no team out on Saturday afternoon. If there is then it will be a cricket score Head against wall Head against wall Head against wall Head against wall

Technically, with no team, we could only lose 2-0, no one there to take the kickoff if the score :dance:

Whats the rules for an AFC Redditch United?
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile http://redshoponline.goshopper.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Non league clubs have been dropping like flies in recent years. Redditch United should know this fact well. It’s the main reason why we are still in the Conference North to this day, and not in the Southern League Premier (or lower)….The fewer clubs that survive this season financially = fewer relegations from the league. It’s the same as it has been for the last few seasons. Relegation has not been decided (i.e. 3 up 3 down) on the pitch for several seasons now.

The option of liquidation does mean that certain companies / business individuals take the p*ss. I’ve seen it in my day job more times than I can keep count of. You run a business into the ground & liquidate the business. You can wipe the debt slate clean and start again. You start again almost immediately, with an almost identical trading name and operate from the same location as you were at before. Customers think it’s the same business, but it’s not. Nuneaton is an obvious example. A short term one step back, which looks likely to be followed by three steps forward.

Why have our directors not taken the easy step of allowing the club to fall into liquidation? …especially, when so many other clubs in non league football have done the same thing recently. I’m guessing that former / current directors have lent money to the club and now want it back!

If I’m wrong, then I apologise profusely to those concerned! Feel free to correct me.

But, I believe….

…there are vested interests behind the ‘debt reduction policy’ of the club. Are we paying off debts to external creditors? Or are we paying off debts to those who were foolish enough to wrecklessly ‘invest’ in a football club and want their money back?

When it's morality vs. profit, it’s seldom that morality wins.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ted striker on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:28 pm

I agree with those who have posted to say that we can't lay the blame for today's news solely at the door of Ken Rae. Pretty much from the day that Rod Brown was appointed manager, and quite possibly for some time before that, Redditch United was paying out more than it was taking in. For a limited period, that had the potential to be a rewarding strategy, but like anything where the potential rewards are high, so are the potential risks.

In the short to medium term, it seemed like it was going to pay off; we went from being relegation candidates in the Dr Martens Western Division in November 2001 to being champions and playoff winners in May 2004 - two and a half years in which our fortunes on the pitch improved almost beyond measure, and the gates went up and up, although that championship season saw the averages somewhat skewed by the 1384 (is that right Fingers?) we got for the Boxing Day mauling of them lot up the road, and the 1088 (Fingers?) we got on the almost calamitous day we lost 1-0 at home to Gloucester. We then defied expectations by not only avoiding relegation the following season but by finishing in the top half of the table, being in the playoff hunt for a while and winning the Birmingham Senior Cup.

Sadly, that was the peak, and as soon as things started to go wrong the following season we were looking for a scapegoat, and we found one - his name was Pat Cremin, and I think that a lot of people, me included, owe Pat a pretty big apology for some of the things we accused him of back then. I don't think he was an angel by any stretch of the imagination, but with the benefit of hindsight can we really justify the allegations of serious fraud that were being levelled at him? The money was never there to begin with - we had simply overachieved and we've thrown a lot more money into that pit ever since. The fans that were around at the time,and again I include myself in this, are as much to blame as Ken or Pat or anyone else for being gullible enough to think that we could afford to sustain this level of football indefinitely, and for being swayed by arguments that had more to do with personal differences than any real truth or logic.

Now Ken has taken the decision to stop funding the club from his own pocket - and really, what choice does he have? - I think that the blinkers are well and truly off, and I only hope that it hasn't come too late to save the club. I don't know what the financial situation is; I suspect that our fate hinges not so much on how much debt there is as who the creditors are and how likely they are to force the club into administration. I for one have not been attending matches regularly for three years now, I just haven't had the enthusiasm for it, although I was planning to attend this weekend's match. If it goes ahead, I'll probably still be there, and I hope that it's not the last chance I'll have to watch Redditch United.

ted striker
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JBS on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:38 am

Tell me to mind my business if you like seeing as im not a member, but are TRUST going to make an kind of statement on the whole thing?

JBS
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile http://twitter.com/redditch_united

Back to top Go down

Post  porrohman on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:48 am

Spot on JBS, there will be a statement from the TRUST on Saturday.
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 am

This is a very sad day for the club,but not unexpected for me the only surprise is that it did not come sooner.It is unfair to lay the blame at Ken's door for this mess,RUFC have been mismanaged for many years.When my Dad started supporting the club in 1960 the club were always desperate for money.However the real problems started when we went into the alliance prem(blue sq prem) we spent money we didn't have to improve the ground and team,and travel costs were above what we could afford.My dad(may he rest in peace)warned the board at the time if we went up the club would suffer finacial problems we may never recover from,and sadly his words have come true.We have been in a finacial mess ever since.Ken is the 15th chairman in my time supporting RUFC,the 1st being Bill Lawrenson who for me started us on this downward spiral despite being the most successful chairman in our history.Ken has put alot of his own money in but you cannot do it forever,his family is far more important than any club.Yes we may all have had our disagreements with him,but i want to thank him for everything he has done to save us.The big question is what is next?does the club go into administration/liquidation,and reform further down the pyramid,like Bromsgrove?Also a big thankyou to Matt and his team for everything they have done under impossible circumstances.Dennis Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:18 am

Also this does prove what Dave Ralph told me,about the finances of the club,and i passed onto everyone and caused a bit of upset(previous forum)was totally true,he just spoke out a few weeks ahead of the board.Wish he had of being talking rubbish. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:41 am

I agree with all those who say don't blame Ken, If it was not for him and the sacrifices his family have made this would have happened a lot sooner and it takes a brave(real) man to stand up and do what he has done.
Yeah yeah we know its because of how the club was run in the past but the past is the past and wont change anything, I have said before, I understand why a lot of fans from the past are upset but to turn your back on the club?.
Redditch United is 120 years old and it will be a disaster to lose it now, I suggest that ALL and I mean ALL Redditch United Fans past and present get to the Valley this Saturday. Forget the past and forget issue's that you may have with certain people at the club, just come down and show whether this club should continue or not. This is not about watching crap football or discussing how crap the pitch is or it used to be better in my day, its about us all being United and showing that this Club must be saved.
A HUGE well done to all the Players that have agreed to stay(till Saturday at least/let's show them they made the right choice), A HUGE thanks to the Players that have played this year but are no longer with us.
Last but not Least Gards and Snapper, you guy's have been fantastic this season in what was a near impossible job given resources. Matt has been nothing but up front every step of the way and very approachable, always recognised & appreciated the Fans input and continuing to wear those sexy black tights Point and laugh that got a song of there own Crying with laughter Crying with laughter Crying with laughter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:46 am

Redjeff wrote:I agree with all those who say don't blame Ken, If it was not for him and the sacrifices his family have made this would have happened a lot sooner and it takes a brave(real) man to stand up and do what he has done.
Yeah yeah we know its because of how the club was run in the past but the past is the past and wont change anything, I have said before, I understand why a lot of fans from the past are upset but to turn your back on the club?.
Redditch United is 120 years old and it will be a disaster to lose it now, I suggest that ALL and I mean ALL Redditch United Fans past and present get to the Valley this Saturday. Forget the past and forget issue's that you may have with certain people at the club, just come down and show whether this club should continue or not. This is not about watching crap football or discussing how crap the pitch is or it used to be better in my day, its about us all being United and showing that this Club must be saved.
A HUGE well done to all the Players that have agreed to stay(till Saturday at least/let's show them they made the right choice), A HUGE thanks to the Players that have played this year but are no longer with us.
Last but not Least Gards and Snapper, you guy's have been fantastic this season in what was a near impossible job given resources. Matt has been nothing but up front every step of the way and very approachable, always recognised & appreciated the Fans input and continuing to wear those sexy black tights Point and laugh that got a song of there own Crying with laughter Crying with laughter Crying with laughter
Very well put, i hope everyone takes in what you have said,and YES THAT INCLUDES YOU SPIKE,if you checkout this forum and take in what has been said.

Back to top Go down

Post  in2thevalley on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 am

toffeeman wrote:
Redjeff wrote:I agree with all those who say don't blame Ken, If it was not for him and the sacrifices his family have made this would have happened a lot sooner and it takes a brave(real) man to stand up and do what he has done.
Very well put, i hope everyone takes in what you have said,and YES THAT INCLUDES YOU SPIKE,if you checkout this forum and take in what has been said.
Couldn't agree more. Now is the time that differences are put aside, and WE ALL work to help the club( which we love or we wouldn't be writing this on furums, would we??)
in2thevalley
Football League
Football League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 am

I have sent an email to Sky Sports highlighting our plight....in the week of high value transfer activity etc Tut
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 am

Got SS News on now to see if it get's read out, but it's all about the super bowl and cricket at the moment!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim_S on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:06 am

Surely, in this time of need its time to really push the Reddit connection?

Who know's there may be a multi-millionaire benefactor who happens to decide to step in? Wink

Also tweeted a few Journalists to raise our plight to them Smile
Tim_S
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 am

If I remember correctly, it was Sky who ran a story on us years ago when we had to play seven games in seven days! They came along to the Birmingham Senior Cup final at Halesowen to film us in action! The story was a nice contrast to the many Premier League managers who were unhappy at playing three games in a week. Back then, top managers at top clubs were forever complaining that their poor players couldn’t cope!

I never did get to watch the article!

That story was a novelty though. A non league football club in financial turmoil is not; it’s all too common these days.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  allotmentender on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16 am

Bob Marley wrote:I have sent an email to Sky Sports highlighting our plight....in the week of high value transfer activity etc Tut

Worth a try, but wouldn't hold your breath, I don't think Sky and Murdoch really give a sh*t about little non league clubs, other than patronising us (not us obviously, as it's been 20 odd years since I watched us play Merthyr in the 1st round, and nothing since) when it comes to the FA Cup 1st round day!!!
I hope i'm proved wrong and they do a piece on it at Sky, not that i'd get to see it though, we have Foxtel Wink
allotmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 am

del boy wrote:If I remember correctly, it was Sky who ran a story on us years ago when we had to play seven games in seven days! They came along to the Birmingham Senior Cup final at Halesowen to film us in action! The story was a nice contrast to the many Premier League managers who were unhappy at playing three games in a week. Back then, top managers at top clubs were forever complaining that their poor players couldn’t cope!

I never did get to watch the article!

That story was a novelty though. A non league football club in financial turmoil is not; it’s all too common these days.

Wasn't it 9 games in 9 days?

There's a framed Sports Argus (?) in the offices of the Board Room with a great write up of each game.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:06 pm

yeah 9 in 9!!!! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Sorry for wasting my time getting off my arse and doing something....I suppose my letter to the Redditch Advertiser was also a waste of time...will I ever learn? Head against wall
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:07 pm

Bob Marley wrote:Sorry for wasting my time getting off my arse and doing something....I suppose my letter to the Redditch Advertiser was also a waste of time...will I ever learn? Head against wall

Well done mate, great effort as always

Don't listen to the negative wanker on here Laughing Laughing
Leethall
Football League
Football League

View user profile http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  TRae on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi all – feeling quite emotional about all this – as I know many of the people on here are too. Everyone is entitled to their opinion – well here’s mine!! I’m going to come down on Ken’s side obviously – so if it appears biased well it probably is!! As Steve has said there is no point in raking over past mistakes and what happened in the past but human nature often means that we apportion blame. I thank the people on here who have appreciated what Ken has done for this club, what he goes through on a daily basis and the fact that everything he has done has been for what he believes is the good of RUFC. Now he isn’t perfect – but unless your name is Mary Poppins then neither is anyone!! Whatever you believe Ken has done in the past is up to you – but I find it incredibly hard to believe he is solely responsible for the financial state of our club!! There were 4 other directors who took over from Pat Cremin with Ken. All five of them vowed to stay together and run the club better than it had been run in the past. This is where opinions come in – some believe they did a good job, others not – could argue that till the cows come home. Ken only became chairman when no one else wanted it. Out of the five directors we now only have two – no one was ‘forced’ out Andy. Everyone has their own mind. It would have been so much easier for us if Ken had walked too – we as a family would have been far better off if he had done. But he didn’t – he stayed – he knows that whatever he does someone will disagree, someone could do better, someone has a better idea of how to run the club, someone would do this/that/ the next thing and RUFC would be the richest, best run club in the country. Without him staying and putting OUR money in on a weekly basis to pay players, bills, bailiffs etc. etc. the club wouldn’t be here. I’ve often read the club isn’t marketed – it’s so easy to criticise when you haven’t done it. Marketing, bringing in investors, fundraising etc. isn’t an easy thing to do but to listen to some on here it would seem all one has to do is snap ones fingers and hey ho here’s a new investor and everything is rosy – oh well I must remember to flag one of the millions who are passing the club waiting to be asked!!! Sorry if I sound sarcastic but it annoys me that some people are of the opinion that Ken has sat and done nothing, tried nothing and has no interest in improving the financial state of the club. If anyone is interested I’d like to point out here that Ken is doing his upmost to run the football club (however badly some people think he does that), hold down a full time job (which supports said football club) and spend a little time at home with his family. We don’t have the luxury of having a chairman who can spend all his time at the club marketing and trying to get new investors – Ken does what he can in the time he has available to the club. The club wasn’t in such a great state when Ken became a director, yes it ‘paid’ its players 3,4,5 times what they have been paid this year – but in reality those players didn’t receive their money in the season they played – again Ken has picked up the pieces from years ago and has slowly paid players and other creditors off. He has taken on ‘debts’ that were nothing to do with him. Some call him an idiot for investing in the club when it clearly was in need of money – well ask yourself if no one did that would we have a football club?? Ken took the decision to live within our means last season – yes that should have been done long ago but many were ‘living the dream’ and he realised that wasn’t viable. All those that criticise, that think it’s easy to turn it all around and run the club more efficiently should come and be a director – put your money in week in week out, give up your family time to work at the club – and then listen to people tell you what a crap job you are doing. Ken has relied on the TRUST in recent weeks and they have been fabulous – it’s not their ‘job’ is sad if that’s what people believe – they are an important part of our future and I hope that Ken can continue to rely on them.
Now to look to the future, we have a club, yes!! We have not fallen into administration; we are still here, fighting. Where we will play next year – who knows!! But wherever it is Ken cannot be successful on his own, same as he cannot be responsible for failing on his own. RUFC needs directors (yes more if we can get them), volunteers, fans paying on the gate, TRUST, wives, girlfriends etc. i.e. a TEAM who are pulling in the same direction for the good of RUFC. Ken’s decision to cut the budget was done after many discussions over a couple of weeks with members of the TRUST and Matt and Snapper. What other choice did he have? It’s no good bemoaning what happened in the past – that’s not going to help. We have a great youth set up, a fantastic hard-core fan base and lots of good ideas on how to raise money. Let’s build upon this and work together.

Thanks again to those people who are supporting Ken in this decision and for your valued support generally. If anyone is still reading this and you haven’t dropped off may I nominate myself for the longest ever post on this forum?? Tracey
TRae
Midland Combination League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Bob Marley wrote:Sorry for wasting my time getting off my arse and doing something....I suppose my letter to the Redditch Advertiser was also a waste of time...will I ever learn? Head against wall

Hmmm.... a rather petulant response maybe?

…just because a couple of us have dared to point out the obvious reasons why our current plight will never see us mentioned on Sky Sports Centre anytime soon!

If it does get mentioned, then I'll eat humble pie in the centre circle before kick off.
del boy
Blue Square North

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top