As an older fan........

View previous topic View next topic Go down

As an older fan........

Post  onlyme on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:42 am

Fact is without a winning team plus promotions, history shows us that 'fans' stay away at this level and higher.
The problem here at Redditch runs deep as if I look back at when I 'fell in love with United' so much that even though I moved away I have always followed results and when Redditch played an away game near to where I was living would go and watch them.
When they talked about how the Club's money was not being reinvested in the club but being taken out and there was a price to pay one day!
The 200+ fans now going are the hardcore who like Me 'fell in love' with Redditch and will turn up come what may. Those that have stopped coming over the years & we need to get back have seen the way the Club has been run over the years and seen it eventually run into the ground & lost interest as the Clubs problems became all too obvious and in their eyes all too late, regardless of their support.

I really don't believe fans stay away from games because it's too cold, expensive(not at this level) or because they can't be bothered. experience of Cup Games show that when all the talk and publicity was on Redditch for a big game an extra 300 or so came back and I don't think they are likely to come back just because We think they should at least not without that 'buzz' that comes with winning,promotion,big name opponents etc.

Talk of offers etc linked to website stories are fine but surely both Club and Trust Websites need Links prominently placed with aim of promoting each other with aim of showing fans/visitors that they can make a difference and they are important now if not in the past.

The trust has in My view been well and truly 'buried' on the Club Website as I have said elsewhere on here until it was pointed out to Me I could find no way of finding out about the Trust. On the Soapbox the Trust was mentioned often as I read through posts but in a 'cosy' fashion without pointing out where people could find it and some people have felt like it was some sort of cosy closed shop that was content with the set up rather than a Trust that needed new Members and was keen to get people involved for the sake of the Clubs future.
Guess what I am asking is,do we not need to look at what is going on closer to home and get some basics right first and show people they are important and that they can make a difference rather than scratching our heads over why people are not interested in coming back regularly?

onlyme
Midland Combination League

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As an older fan........

Post  Leethall on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:31 am

The reason you see no reference or very little to the Trust is because the club decided they were setting up a Friends of Redditch Utd initiative. Now that was something that has really taken off isn't it? Not heard owt about it since the start of the season.

If I am perfectly honest my view is that the Trust were not wanted by the owners of the club to be involved. That is their prerogative as owners so once we have paid off the loan I shall for one stop my subscription.
Leethall
Football League
Football League

View user profile http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  mattim on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:29 am

'Only me' your situation sounds very much like my own. I 'fell in love' circa 1971 then moved away some 20 years ago but still go when I can and always follow the results from afar.

The simple fact is that people will always go to watch a winning team. It doesn't matter whether you agree with, or even like the owners (I suspect very few Chelsea or Man Utd fans love theirs)). And the simple fact is that if the club is being well run and self sufficient then there is probably no need for a supporter's trust. I'm not saying that this is the case, it may be, it may not be, I have no evidence either way. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be needed. I mean, is there a supporter' trust at Manchester United ?

We can talk all night about the reasons why the level of support has fallen. Admission prices, facilities, state of the pitch, quality of football etc etc but the fact is this is the third consecutive season we are directly involved in a relegation fight and frankly people have had just about enough.

I've looked (albeit briefly) through records of league and non league clubs and you will struggle to find another club with frankly such an abysmal record as we have had over the last few years. Three seasons of relegation form preceded by another two or three seasons of low end finishes. We must be in the process of creating some sort of record for lack of achievement. Frankly I'm bloody amazed anyone turns up at all.

I'm not having a go at anyone here, I'd like to think I'm just telling it like it is. I keep coming back to comparing us with Manchester United but if they had endured (and that is the only word I can think of to describe the last few years at Redditch) then in my view even Old Trafford would be half empty.

mattim
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

mattim wrote:'Only me' your situation sounds very much like my own. I 'fell in love' circa 1971 then moved away some 20 years ago but still go when I can and always follow the results from afar.

The simple fact is that people will always go to watch a winning team. It doesn't matter whether you agree with, or even like the owners (I suspect very few Chelsea or Man Utd fans love theirs)). And the simple fact is that if the club is being well run and self sufficient then there is probably no need for a supporter's trust. I'm not saying that this is the case, it may be, it may not be, I have no evidence either way. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be needed. I mean, is there a supporter' trust at Manchester United ?

We can talk all night about the reasons why the level of support has fallen. Admission prices, facilities, state of the pitch, quality of football etc etc but the fact is this is the third consecutive season we are directly involved in a relegation fight and frankly people have had just about enough.

I've looked (albeit briefly) through records of league and non league clubs and you will struggle to find another club with frankly such an abysmal record as we have had over the last few years. Three seasons of relegation form preceded by another two or three seasons of low end finishes. We must be in the process of creating some sort of record for lack of achievement. Frankly I'm bloody amazed anyone turns up at all.

I'm not having a go at anyone here, I'd like to think I'm just telling it like it is. I keep coming back to comparing us with Manchester United but if they had endured (and that is the only word I can think of to describe the last few years at Redditch) then in my view even Old Trafford would be half empty.

This pretty much sums up my feelings, and I've only been going long enough to see a fraction of the misery.

I'm not staying away, but at the same time I'm not itching to be down the Valley either at the moment.

The club's lost it's 'football club feel', losing the likes of Aidy Price, Daz Lane, Tim Delaney and their families who were all Reds through & through and really good people.
Haven't been down that much lately but I don't see the Rawlings on here too much any more either so I guess they're another bunch to add to that list.

The atmosphere has completely gone.
At some point in the new year maybe we should all rally round and try and get some atmosphere back on the terraces.

Maybe Bedford at Home on the 15th Jan?

Admin

View user profile http://redditchunited.forumfree.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  oldtommo on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:21 am

Redditchbluenose86 wrote:
mattim wrote:'Only me' your situation sounds very much like my own. I 'fell in love' circa 1971 then moved away some 20 years ago but still go when I can and always follow the results from afar.

This pretty much sums up my feelings, and I've only been going long enough to see a fraction of the misery.

I'm not staying away, but at the same time I'm not itching to be down the Valley either at the moment.

The club's lost it's 'football club feel', losing the likes of Aidy Price, Daz Lane, Tim Delaney and their families who were all Reds through & through and really good people.
Haven't been down that much lately but I don't see the Rawlings on here too much any more either so I guess they're another bunch to add to that list.

The atmosphere has completely gone.
At some point in the new year maybe we should all rally round and try and get some atmosphere back on the terraces.

Maybe Bedford at Home on the 15th Jan?
. The only game this season with any kind of atmosphere was Nantwich away! That was a result of a protracted campaign from die hard fans for a few weeks leading up to the game. We went there to make some noise and that's exactly what we did. However the reward for this was another lacklustre performance resulting in another loss,and a total lack of recognition from players (with 2 exceptions) at the end of the game!! At least during last seasons relegation battle it felt like we were all in it together, players,fans, club officials, everyone! The last few weeks of the season were great and we had some really good days I will happily try to rally support for the Bedford game but it is beginning to feel like a lost cause!
oldtommo
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lewism5964 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:06 am

Same here, the atmosphere at the Valley right now is as low as it has ever been.

I have probably seen my last game this season now as I'm off travelling for 5 and a half months on January 3rd so I hope the atmosphere and singing picks up while I'm gone along with the on field performances.

If I don't make it down the Valley again before I go will say hope every has a great Christmas and New Year and I will see you all again for next season!

UTR
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top